What is Calisthenics?
Calisthenics is the sport with performing at its heart. Calisthenics is ideal for people who enjoy keeping fit and healthy and being part of a team in a competitive environment. We offer a unique combination of dancing, singing, gymnastics and technical skills for girls, boys and women.
Calisthenics develops strong, confident performers through teamwork. Discipline and technique, grace and poise are fostered in a fun and friendly club environment, where families can connect and performers can develop skills, and friendships, that last a lifetime. Our performers learn skills that inspire them to take centre stage at competitions, and in life.
Each unique team based item improves the overall health, fitness, strength and flexibility of performers, as well as offering skills and benefits to take into everyday life.
Sporting clubs dedicated to the teaching of calisthenics can be found across Australia. In Victoria, team classes are usually held between late January through until November each year. Most clubs take part in the annual competition season which runs between July and October where pupils have the opportunity to showcase their work in front of an adjudicator as well as their family and friends.
What kind of benefits can I expect from participating in calisthenics?
- Making new friends
- Enjoying being part of a team
- Developing self confidence
- Learning commitment
- Improvement in fitness level (particularly flexibility and strength of muscles)
- Improvement in co-ordination and motor skills
- Learning a range of skills, some of which overlap with other pursuits e.g. ballet steps, singing
- Experiencing a wide variety of choreography which keeps the mind alert
- Enjoying presenting routines and costumes on stage
What do calisthenics routines look like?
Song & Dance \ Calisthenics Revue